Food Safety and Hygiene for Catering
Try online - Buy online - Learn online - Test online and Certificate posted within 2 working days £25 + VAT
EU Regulation 852/2004 Hygiene for Foodstuffs requires Food Businesses to make sure that any staff who handles food are supervised, instructed and trained in Food Hygiene in a way that is appropriate to the work they do.
This module is a self-study course (formerly known as Foundation or Basic Food Hygiene) and maps to the UK National Occupational Standards in Food Safety and Hygiene at level 2 as published by People 1st, the Sector Skills Council for the Hospitality, Leisure, Travel and Tourism industries. This course is aimed at anyone working in catering or hospitality whether employed or self employed, working in restaurants, hotels, fast food outlets, takeaways, cafes, bars, kitchens, catering in hospitals, schools and colleges. It allows every catering business, regardless of size, to provide all staff with first class training at a fraction of the cost and disruption of classroom based training.
Upon completion of this online training material learners will sit an online test and on successful completion, will receive a Level 2 Certificate in Food Safety and Hygiene meeting the legal training required, which must then be applied to work situations.
The training and test usually take between 2 to 3 hours to complete (depending on learning speed), which is equivalent to 6 hours face-to-face group training. Learners are required to achieve a 75% pass mark , and, if necessary, may re-sit the test at no extra cost, having revisited the training material. Certificates will be posted within 2 working days of a successful test pass.
Produced by Virtual College in association with Food Safety experts 'Food Dialog' a registered Training Centre with the Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH) we have made every effort to make the training friendly, understandable and as down to earth as possible.On completion of this course learners should understand:
- Why food hygiene and safety is important
- Their personal and legal responsibilities
- The impact of food borne illness
- How food becomes contaminated
- How to prevent contamination through good hygiene practices
- How to control contamination through safe temperatures and storage
- How to control food safety hazards at critical control points using a HACCP based Food Safety Management System
Lesson PlanThe sections covered include:
- Learning Objectives and an introduction to Food Safety and Hygiene - Food Safety and Hygiene are terms commonly used, here we will look at how they relate to food that has been prepared and served.
- Impact of Food-Borne Illness - looking at what food-bourne illnesses are and how they affect us.
- Understanding Food Law - food often has a long journey from growing, harvesting, delivery, preparation through to being eaten. As a result there are many opportunities for it to become contaminated. In this section we look at legislation in place that relates to food hygiene and safety.
- Food Safety Hazards and Contamination - exploring food safety hazards and how they arise and consider how they can be prevented and controlled.
- Food Preservation, Storage and Temperature Control - how to preserve food, including appropriate storage and temperature controls.
- Personal Hygiene - this section looks at why personal hygiene is so important when working with food - from hand washing to legal requirements.
- Hygienic Premises and Equipment - this section looks at good housekeeping and the part premises and equipment design play in maintaining clean, pest-free conditions.
- Hazards Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) - it is a requirement of regulations that all businesses implement and maintain a documented Food Safety Management system based on HACCP. This section looks at what this involves.
Target AudienceThis food safety and hygiene module is aimed at anyone working in a role that involves contact with food, or the management of such people; regulations require that anyone involved in food handling must be appropriately trained in food safety. The module can be used either as Induction, Awareness, Refresher and Foundation Training.
DurationIt is estimated that this module will take approximately 2-3 hours to complete (depending on learning speed). As an e-learning module you can complete this training in convenient stages and revisit whenever you wish. The system will record your progress throughout.
CertificationOn successful completion of this course you will join over 15,000 other learners to be awarded the Virtual College/Food Dialog Level 2 Certificate in Food Safety and Hygiene that meets your legal training requirements. The certificate should be displayed to show appropriate training has taken place.
CPD AccreditationThe content of this course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines
Entry RequirementsThere are no specific entry requirements for this course.
What our customers have said'I was very impressed with the training package - having done a similar 'classroom' course years ago - this was not only informative but quick to achieve and very well produced for all capabilities. Well done!' AN, Food2007 11/02/09
'Thanks, You made things easy for me to gain. The training as excellent. I passed 100% and with confidence.' TY, Food2007 20/02/09
'I'd like to thank Virtual College for a fantastic experience' MC, Food2007 16/01/09
'I would certainly be back to do another course as I found it very rewarding.' SE, Food2007 20/01/09
'It was recommended by Environmental Health and I could fit it around my business and home life' ACJ, North Shropshire, 26/07/2009
Cost and Discounts£25.00 (plus VAT) This cost is for a single user and includes the Food Hygiene certificate on successful test pass. Discounts are available for multiple users (10 or more) for more information please contact , or telephone us on 01943 885086.
How it Works
The information below is specific to this particular course. If you would like a more general guide to how our purchasing and learning works please visit the Four Easy Steps page which should tell you all you need to know.
Alternatively; if you have a specific question or concerns why not contact us directly?
WhatThis is an online course, all the training will be taken through your Internet connection. There will be no face-to-face sessions with instructors nor will you receive any training material through the post. If you wish you may print out any page of the training material, and may also print the notes you took during the training.
You can also revisit the training material at any time, even after you have completed the course.
HowThe material for this course has been broken down into several smaller lessons, each lesson dealing with a specific area of the overall subject.
The lessons consist of a series of pages in which an instructor will talk you through the lesson material at a pace that suits you. Pages may also include supporting pictures, graphs, animation or extra sounds to help with the learning where appropriate. Some lessons will include challenges/quizzes to help you keep in touch and interested in the material.
Lessons can be taken in any order and each lesson may be PAUSED and RESUMED at any stage. When all lessons in the course have been completed and the test passed, our system will automatically record that you have successfully completed the course and your certificate will be posted to you within 2 working days.
WhenThe course is self-paced so you decide how fast or slow the training goes. This course will take approximately 2 - 3 hours, however you can complete the course in stages revisiting the training at any time.
If you would like to buy this course now please enter details of the learner to be enrolled on the course.
When you click "Submit" you will be transferred to our secure payment system (provided by WorldPay) where you will be able to enter your credit or debit card details.
Start Your Training Today
Once the payment has been accepted you will immediately be allocated an account in our Training Management System, and you will be able start your training right away.