Food Safety and Hygiene for Manufacturing
Try online - Buy online - Learn online - Test online and Certificate posted within 2 working days £25 + VAT
EU Regulation 852/2004 Hygiene for Foodstuffs requires Food Businesses to make sure that any staff who handles food are supervised, instructed and trained in Food Hygiene in a way that is appropriate to the work they do.
This module is a self-study course (formerly known as Foundation or Basic Food Hygiene) and maps to the UK National Occupational Standards in Food Safety and Hygiene at level 2 as published by Improve Ltd, the Sector Skills Council for the Food and Drink Manufacturing Industry in the UK. This course will benefit anyone working in food processing, manufacturing, food assembly, packing and food storage. It allows every manufacturing business, regardless of size, to provide all staff with first class training at a fraction of the cost and disruption of classroom based training.
Upon completion of this online training material learners will sit an online test and on successful completion, will receive a Level 2 Certificate in Food Safety and Hygiene for Manufacturing meeting the legal training required, which must then be applied to work situations.
The training and test usually take between 2 to 3 hours to complete (depending on learning speed), which is equivalent to 6 hours face-to-face group training. Learners are required to achieve a 75% pass mark , and, if necessary, may re-sit the test at no extra cost, having revisited the training material. Certificates will be posted within 2 working days of a successful test pass.
Produced by Virtual College in association with Food Safety experts 'Food Dialog' a registered Training Centre with the Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH) we have made every effort to make the training friendly, understandable and as down to earth as possible.On completion of this course learners should understand:
- Why food hygiene and safety is important
- Their personal and legal responsibilities
- The impact of food borne illness
- How food becomes contaminated
- How to prevent contamination through good hygiene practices
- How to control contamination through safe temperatures and storage
- How to control food safety hazards at critical control points using a HACCP based food safety management system
Upon completion of this module learners will have an understanding of a wide range of key food safety issues, including the three main types of food safety hazard, their sources and methods of control. Learners will know the correct temperatures needed for storage and food handling activities from raw material and goods inwards through manufacturing, packing and distribution to customers, and be aware of common food pests and how to control them, along with the principles of cleaning and disinfection and how these apply to the workplace.The sections covered include:
- Learning Objectives and an introduction to Food Safety and Hygiene - Food Safety and Hygiene are terms commonly used, here we will look at how they relate to food that has been processed or manufactured.
- Impact of Food-Borne Illness - looking at what food-bourne illnesses are and how they affect us.
- Understanding Food Law - food often has a long journey from growing, harvesting, delivery, preparation through to being eaten. As a result there are many opportunities for it to become contaminated. In this section we look at legislation in place that relates to food hygiene and safety.
- Food Safety Hazards and Contamination - exploring food safety hazards and how they arise and consider how they can be prevented and controlled.
- Food Preservation, Storage and Temperature Control - how to manufacture and preserve food, including appropriate storage and temperature controls.
- Personal Hygiene - this section looks at why personal hygiene is so important when working with food - covering hand washing, health, first aid. protective clothing and appearance.
- Hygienic Premises and Equipment - this section looks at good housekeeping and the part premises and equipment design play in maintaining clean, pest-free conditions.
- Hazards Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) - it is a requirement of regulations that all businesses implement and maintain a documented Food Safety Management system based on HACCP. This section looks at what this involves.
Target AudienceThis Food Safety and Hygiene for Manufacturing module is aimed at anyone working in a manufacturing or processing environment, small or large, which could include food factories, meat cutting plants, dry goods and vegetable packing, dairies, breweries and bottling plants.
DurationIt is estimated that this module will take approximately 2-3 hours to complete (depending on learning speed). As an e-learning module you can complete this training in convenient stages and revisit whenever you wish. The system will record your progress throughout.
CertificationOn successful completion of this course you will join over 15,000 other learners to be awarded the Virtual College/Food Dialog Level 2 Certificate in Food Safety and Hygiene for Manufacturing that meets your legal training requirements. The certificate should be displayed to show appropriate training has taken place.
CPD AccreditationThe content of this course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines
Entry RequirementsThere are no specific entry requirements for this course.
What our customers have said
'Thank you and I have recommended you to three of my family members who will also be taking the same course with you. 22/10/2008 - Devon
'Since English is not my first language, it was really nice that I could control the course by myself.. so if I didn't understand something I could pause till I got it'. SI 21/10/2008 - East London
'Being able to complete the training without leaving my work for a whole day' 29/09/2008 Essex
'I've not used e-learning before and thought it has been an extremely good source of training'. VL - 22/09/2008 Leeds
'Once I got started on the course I found it very enjoyable and interactive. I liked the layout and the way it's put together - easy to understand, simple, lots of colour, easy to read and do. I also like the way you can call for help and get it instantly.' 23/5/08 - C. Durham
It's very visual as well as informative. 18/01/08 - Aberdeen, Scotland
What a brilliant course. Worth every penny. Would recommend to others. Easy to follow and use. Thank you Virtual College. 20/06/06 - J H
'Thanks for an enjoyable learning experience, my first for a while.' B.M. 30.07.2006
'It was recommended by Environmental Health and I could fit it around my business and home life' ACJ, North Shropshire, 26/07/2009
Cost and Discounts
25+ VAT - This cost is for a single user.
Discounts are available for multiple users (10 or more) for more information please contact , or telephone Sales on 01943 885086.
How it WorksThe information below is specific to this particular course. If you would like a more general guide to how our purchasing and learning works please visit the Four Easy Steps page which should tell you all you need to know.
Alternatively: if you have a specific question or concern why not contact us directly?
This is an online course, all the training will be taken through your browser window. There will be no face-to-face sessions with instructors nor will you receive any training material through the post. If you wish you may print out any page of the training material, and may also print the notes you took during the training.
You can also revisit the training material at any time, even after you have completed the course.
The material for this course has been broken down into several smaller lessons, each lesson dealing with a specific area of the overall subject.
The lesson consists of a series of pages in which an instructor will talk you through the lesson material at a pace that suits you. Pages may also include supporting pictures, graphs, animation or extra sounds to help with the learning where appropriate. Some lessons will include challenges/quizzes to help you keep in touch and interested in the material.
Lessons can be taken in any order and each lesson may be PAUSED and RESUMED at any stage. When all lessons in the course have been completed our system will realise and automatically record that you have successfully completed the course
The course is self-paced so you decided how fast or slow the training goes. This course will take approximately 2-3 hours, however you can complete the course in stages revisiting the training at any time.
If you would like to buy this course now please enter details of the learner to be enrolled on the course.
When you click "Submit" you will be transferred to our secure payment system (provided by WorldPay) where you will be able to enter your credit or debit card details.
Start Your Training Today
Once the payment has been accepted you will immediately be allocated an account in our Training Management System, and you will be able start your training right away.